Sunday, March 21, 2010


One quilt down, 8 more to go!

I was able to complete Victorian Lullabye today. In the immediate future, this pretty little crib-size quilt is headed to the Boy's & Girl's Club to accompany Sailor Boy Green in their spring auction. Afterwards, one of them will return to my Etsy shop.

I got the top nearly complete and realized I didn't have any single piece of fabric that would be big enough for the backing, so I decided to do a pieced back. I don't generally do them, as I struggle getting them lined up properly, but I'm very happy with how this one turned out.

I quilted it using a meandering loopy 'pattern' that ends up resulting in a densely quilted piece which is far sturdier for a kid's quilt. I also machine stitch the bindings for durability. Art quilts always get a hand-finished binding, though.

On the baby front, we're in the countdown. Approximately 9 weeks left until his expected arrival, but as anyone who has had a baby knows, they come when they're good & ready. We're closer to getting his nursery completed, and hopefully can paint next weekend. Poor kid will have to share his room with my quilt frame for a little bit longer, though, since I won't be able to paint the concrete floor in my work room until after he's born. I'll post photos when it's complete.