Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Bloggers Quilt Festival Spring 2009

So there is this lovely little online quilt festival that is being hosted by Amy at Park City Girl, and I love showing off this quilt, so what better chance than this?

Presenting: Under Cover of Night


This quilt was created as part of a Block of the Month challenge, and I added my own blocks to it to make a nearly queen-size quilt, the largest I've made to date. The smaller blocks above and below the center star contain blocks that represent the life path I traveled to meet my husband.


The background fabric of each block is a nighttime star field, hence the name. Plus, we're both space nuts, so the theme seemed appropriate.

Each main block was quilted with an astrological symbol. This was also a learning quilt for me- I had just purchased my long-arm quilting machine & frame, and through trial and error learned what I can and cannot do with it.

Even the label has meaning: This quilt was a gift to my husband, started when we had just started dating. The dwarf and elf in the label represent our characters from World of Warcraft, which is how we met (so corny, I know).

I hope you enjoyed this (not-so) little post!

10 comments:

  1. I like how you framed each block! Thats cool you met in wow. I bet you were the elf and he was the dwarf?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift to your hubby! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quilt, great name. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @zonnah- yup, you guessed it!
    @everyone- thanks! I'm real happy with how it turned out. Though I'm too worried to put it on the bed, b/c our dogs are awfully rough on the heavy-duty comforter that is already there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what an incredible quilt. Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did enjoy your story, & the quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! i love the colors - thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete